Guernsey wins gridiron home opener

GUERNSEY – After losing their first game of the year at Farson-Eden in a lopsided game, 67-7, the Guernsey Vikings pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and worked up an appetite for Bison. 

Just a week earlier, the Vikings had given up 442 yards on defense while managing only 201 yards of offense, gaining only 44 yards on the ground. Saturday the Guernsey team turned the tables on their fortunes and demolished the Cheyenne South Bisons JV team.

Guernsey-Sunrise amassed 550 yards of offense, gaining 386 yards on the ground with the three-headed monster of quarterback Brian McCoid who rushed for 131 yards, Justin Malcom who rushed for 169 yards and Kaleb Foggie who gained 59 yards.

Although Guernsey is well-respected for its passing game, the up-front blocking by the Viking front line was moving the line of scrimmage all day and pretty much having their way opening up holes for the ground game.

McCoid did add 161 yards passing, going 11-22 and threw for one touchdown and ran for two more.

With just 7:23 left in the first quarter, the Vikings drew first blood on a three-yard run off tackle by Malcom for the first of his three rushing touchdowns. Guernsey would never trail in the game from that point on.

Although South came right back with a matching touchdown, wide-body Hunter Warner busted through the special team’s front line and blocked the extra point. By the six-minute mark in the second quarter, the Vikings continued to pound the ball on the ground and had built a 20-point lead. By halftime, the score was 45-19 and if not for a pair of special-teams kickoff returns for touchdowns, the Vikings would have had an even bigger lead.

The Vikings continued their dominance in the second half keeping control of the clock and scoring at will. The time of possession tells the story of the game as the slowed down run game of Guernsey allowed them to retain the ball for 33 minutes in the contest as compared to 15 minutes that Cheyenne had the ball.

The Bisons scored two touchdowns in the final six minutes to make the score a bit more respectable, but when the dust cleared, and the Viking coaches finally quit asking if his players were hungry, the Vikings pulled away from the table full and satisfied. The final score was 66-43.

The defense held the Bisons to 284 yards.

Brock Hohnholt caught 4 passes for 70 yards to lead all receivers for the day and on defense Cooper Harriman was in on 10 tackles followed by Macolm who recorded seven confirmed kills and also picked off one Bison pass, and Rawland Isabell who was in the fray seven times.

The Vikings will be at home again this coming Saturday at 2 p.m. as they take on Cheyenne Central’s JV team.



Video News
More In Sports